Followers

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Just an Ordinary Girl. Or am I?

My entire life I have been that blue eyed, blonde haired girl. With that said, most people assume that I was a cheerleader and pledged a sorority. Most think I have no culture, no mystery, no secrets. I don't claim to have been mistreated based on my hair or eye color or even the color of my skin. But I have been misjudged.
While many little girls were sporting tiaras and tutus and playing tea party with their dolls, I was wearing dungarees and climbing trees. I remember days of coming in from the yard for lunch and mom rolling her eyes because I had grass stains or mud on my cute little ironed dresses. When all my "girly" friends wanted to be cheerleaders, I begged my parents to play soccer.
Most weekends in High School and even College were spent with my nose in a book. Usually not the book I should have been highlighting and taking notes on, but instead a book I could lose myself for hours in. I was not the typical party girl and I didn't always make friends easily. I would later attribute this to my sneaky suspicions that although everyone has potential to be kind hearted...not everyone uses that potential.
So recently when I was asked what I did for a living and I explained my occupation to this potential "date", I didn't take kindly to the phrase "oh your just a secretary"? No I am not just a secretary. I am a women. A women who worked her ass off as to earn a Bachelors Degree from an accredited college. A women who shortly after college worked her ass off to get through the police academy and graduate to become a Police Officer. I am a women who once stared down the barrel of a shot gun and was able to keep my cool long enough to talk the offender out of using said firearm. I am a women who has helped family and friends and even complete strangers in times of need. I am a women who loves and loves hard but will never love you again if crossed. I am a women that is strong, can wear a great set of heels, walk in them and still wrestle big tough guys to the ground if necessary. So next time a "date" asks me what I am...I'll let him know I am a women and it doesn't get much better then that!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I am slow clapping my butt off over here, lady! I love this post and can't wait to read more of your writing. I learn so much from you, Kendra, and you are indeed an amazing woman. Even if your profession was "just" a secretary, that so underestimates our indentities to tie it to our day jobs, and I'm glad you escaped such a short-sighted date.

    ReplyDelete